Thursday, July 31, 2014

Moving even when we are sitting still

I did a bit of research:
The earth rotates about 1,000 mph
The earth orbits the sun at 67,000 mph
The solar system moves 515,000 miles per hour through / around the galaxy

The milkyway galaxy moves roughly 671,000 mph through the universe

So, when we are sitting still we are still moving roughtly 1,254,000 mph

So the next time you see me sitting at my computer and want to tell me I need more exercise.. remember that we are all moving pretty quickly. I don't want to risk flying away.  Imagine if you could jump and the planet would move beneath your feet?  It's hard to believe that our fragile planet is moving so fast. it's amazing really.


Well with the research my time is up.
My peace I give to you

Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. A handy thought. Our movement through space fascinates me. Not too long ago, I watched the CasioPeia Project's program on how the earth moves through space: it's not as simple as we think when take into account gravitational forces of other planets, axial tilts, and---get this as I never thought of it before---the changing eccentricities of our own elliptical orbit around the sun due to other planets: 112,000 years for the eccentric ellipse to revolve around sun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-DYgGFjI&index=26&list=LLcP3-fwdbQYGOm2877M2xBQ

    ReplyDelete